Baseball, philosophy, video games, snarky anti-Bush rants, and all other various and sundry topics. Not necessarily in that order.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

United States: Episode III - Revenge of the Fascists

Newsweek is the latest news outlet who has been essentially forced by the Government to "retract" a story, which details well-known and widely reported prisoner abuses at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility in Cuba. In addition to smearing detainees' faces with fake menstrual blood, investigators are reported to be flushing their Korans down the toilets of their cells as an interrogation tactic.

Now, personally, I could care less if they did this. I mean, the blood is a little much, but who says prisoners of "war" should be allowed to keep whatever books they want in their cells? And frankly, I don't think any of these abuses even rises to the level of violating the Geneva Accords on the Treatment of Prisoners, which don't even apply here, because there is no declared "war" anyway (except on civil liberties...).

What irritates the piss out of me is that this administration is so bent on information control that they've essentially neutered our once strong independent press into a Pravda-esque P.R. vehicle. Is it any wonder that Americans who actually want objective news have to go to BBC and other foreign news outlets?

I am disgusted with the state of our nation, and the blind, lemming-like faith that the public seems to have with these Fascistic Banana-Republicans whose heads are so swelled with power that they can't read the fine print in the constitution they've sworn to protect and defend.

2 Comments:

Blogger acb said...

I disagree with you on the "Geneva Convention" issue, but I think I've written about it elsewhere and I'm not going to rehash it here.

This retraction though, reminds me of CNN's retraction of the thoroughly researched and validated story in 1998 on the use of chemical weapons against U.S. defectors in Vietnam.

2:28 AM

 
Blogger matthewweflen said...

Well, the Geneva Convention only applies to prisoners of declared wars. This quagmire is neither.

I'm not saying I disagree with the concept of the GC. I think all prisoners of war should be treated fairly.

12:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home